Monday, October 15, 2012

My Other Creations: Sewing Tin

Sewing and I have had a love/hate relationship.  I'll spare you the gory details, but let's just say that in junior high, sewing class ruined my nerd-driven perfect GPA.  Why?  I bombed my final project which was one of those silk-backed floral vests that were all the rage in the late 80's.  Remember those things??  Wow!  I still can't look back at those vests without bitterness.  Despite my wonderful mother's sewing skills and teaching attempts, I just couldn't make sense of patterns.  They seemed like a cruel mix of math and hieroglyphics.  Failure, failure.  To this day, patterns and I don't mix.

But I still have a fascination/obsession with fabric.  LOVE IT and only realized in the past several years that you can totally incorporate fabric and sewing into your projects even if you're not a traditional, pattern-using seamstress.  I've at last found peace and balance and have learned that when it comes to sewing, I'm fine as long as I don't know what I'm doing or what I'm supposed to be doing (if that makes sense).

So here's a little tin I made to honor the art of sewing: whether you staunchly follow those mysterious symbols on the tissue paper or not.  It's just a reminder to me that the beauty of most creative endeavors is all about interpretation and execution.  It's about individualism!  If you don't follow a pattern, sew on!  If you do follow a pattern, I admire you!  There's room enough for all of us, no matter our methods, to create amazing things!